The Crew Member and Parent Guide for the Watchu Experience and Patriots’ Path Council Philmont Expeditions was distributed to each crew’s adult advisors at February’s Orientation. Please check with the members of your crew to guarantee all receive their copy. We have also posted the Guide on the Watchu Experience Web site (www.watchu.org.) Should additional copies be required, please download and print them.
We expect all crew members and their parents or guardians will read the Guide thoroughly and carefully. It contains critical information concerning the Watchu Experience. Each family should keep their copy in a handy place for easy reference. We believe you will find many valuable tips and answers to most of your questions in the Guide and on the Watchu Experience Web site.
The Advisor Guide for the Watchu Experience and Patriots’ Path Council Philmont Expeditions will be distributed to each crew’s Lead Advisors at the upcoming Lead Advisor Conference on September 9. This guide outlines the duties and responsibilities of the adult members of the crew for training the youth to lead the crew and perform the duties necessary for a successful Philmont trek.
The second phase of your Watchu adventure is about to begin. Please make note of the following schedule.
- Lead Advisor Conference: Tuesday, September 9, 7:00pm, Calvary Presbyterian Church, 144 Ridgedale Avenue, Florham Park, with check-in starting at 6:30pm. The conference must be attended by one advisor from each crew – preferably the Lead Advisor.
- First Advisor Briefing: Tuesday, November 11, 7:30 to 9:55pm, Calvary Presbyterian Church, 144 Ridgedale Avenue, Florham Park. All advisors are expected to attend all briefings in official BSA uniform. At the November briefing a group picture of the entire advisor corps will be taken for posting on the Watchu Experience Web site – you will want to look sharp! A complete briefing schedule is posted on the Calendar of Events page of the Web site and will be included in your Advisor Guide.
- Watchu Reminders and Alerts: Reminders of upcoming events as well as alerts with changes to previously issued information from Chief Watchu or Philmont will be sent by e-mail through the Watchu Network to all crew advisors. Alerts require your immediate attention.
- Watchu Grams: Crew advisors also will receive Watchu Grams by e-mail. These summarize all the information provided on the Web site, keyed to the calendar and the things crews should be doing to prepare for their trek. They represent more than 60 years of Philmont experience and are provided to assist the advisors in their effort to guarantee an outstanding Philmont experience. Watchu Grams also contain historical background and other information crews in prior years have found interesting and useful, and enhanced their Philmont adventure. Watchu Grams are also posted on the Watchu Experience Web site shortly after they are sent.
- Crew Member Family Network: September is a good time to set up an e-mail network for sharing information with your crew members and their families. Create a single group within your e-mail address book so you can easily forward all Watchu Grams as well as your own crew-specific messages regarding meetings, shakedowns, and other crew activities. You can also contact the Watchu Webmaster to set up an e-mail alias for your crew, similar to the one Chief Watchu uses for messages to all advisors.
- Watchu Mountain Adventure: 5:00pm, May 1 to 2:00pm, May 3, 2015, Camp Wheeler, Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation. All crew members are expected to attend this fun and information-filled weekend.
This is the 18th year of the Watchu Experience. Each year has been better than the last. With your help we expect to uphold that tradition and deliver the best-ever ten months of teenage excitement and adventure. We look forward to meeting and working with you.
Good luck and happy trails,
The Watchu Training Tribe
Watchu Mountain, Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation