Category Archives: PLC Meeting Minutes

PLC Meeting Minutes (January 7th, 2015)

Positions of Responsibility Updates:
  • Bugler-Christmas in the Woods performance, learning new songs
  • Nuclear Gummy Bears Patrol-no rank advancements, Christmas in the Woods, using Google Docs to update rank advancements
  • Quartermaster-list of equipment, finding out what equipment is missing or needs to be replaced
  • Scribe-collecting troop contact information
  • Assistant Senior Patrol Leader-should send more weekly emails and improve spreadsheet of the calendar
Troop Updates:
  • Webmaster should improve Matteo’s spreadsheet and put it on
  • Orienteering course
  • Texting is the more effective form of communication over emails
  • Patrol leaders should check and update contacts list
  • Make sure all members of both patrols have given contacts
  • More camping trips
  • March 21st-22nd: Buttermilk Falls hike
  • April: hiking/Camping on Appalachian Trail
  • May 16th-17th: Sandy Hook
  • June 6th-7th: whitewater rafting

PLC Meeting Minutes – November 19, 2014


Scouts: Jonathan, Nick, Matteo, Andrew, David, William, Tommy, Sean, Jeremiah

Adults: Mr. Walto, Mr. Gerecht, Mr. Theoclitus, Mr. Schmidt

Reports from Patrols:

Nuclear Gummy Bears – Matteo reported that his patrol has not yet had any patrol meetings; he was not sure of where each of the members were with regard to rank advancements.

Tapeworms – Patrol Leader Tommy also reported that his patrol has not yet had any patrol meetings, and he was not sure of where each of the members were with regard to rank advancements.
The importance for communication between the patrol leaders and the patrol members was stressed, and that patrols need to make the time to hold patrol meetings.

The decision was made that as part of every troop meeting, immediately after the patrols are dismissed from the opening gathering, patrol leaders will meet with their patrols for 5-10 minutes to review advancement, and to discuss patrol ideas, issues, concerns and to offer guidance and assistance. Patrol leaders will ensure, by the next PLC meeting, that all patrol members have the contact information (phone numbers and email addresses) of the patrol leader and other patrol members. Adult leaders offered to provide that roster information to the patrol leaders for distribution.


Review of recent activities included the importance of capturing the PLC meeting minutes, as they are needed to identify any decisions/plans made at the PLC as well as for follow-up items for future PLC meetings.

Andrew participated in the Scouting for Food service project, and picked up several bags of food from the LHT neighborhood on November 8th.

The Hicks Tract cleanup, to prepare for Christmas in the Woods, is planned for December 12-13; materials needed for the cleanup were identified as saws, rakes, 3/4 axe, sledge and wedges, hand axe, and rope. It was identified that a permit is needed, but it is not known if the permit has yet been received. Jonathan will follow up with adult leaders to determine permit status. Matteo indicated that there were scouts recently performing cleanup activities at Hicks Tract, and that the fire pit area may not need to be cleaned. Matteo will investigate the site and report his findings to the troop; it was suggested that an adult leader also check out the site and report. The overnight activity will remain on the calendar as scheduled, pending the site status.

Planning for future activities, including any need for fundraising, will take place later in this meeting.

Troop Leadership

Training opportunities were reviewed: Wilderness First Aid, University of Scouting, and NYLT in Summer 2015. Den chiefs are currently serving as Patrol Leaders; need to reach out again to the local packs to offer services.


No activities are currently planned which need fundraising.


All leaders need to be doing a better job of communicating: between SPL and Patrol Leaders, between ASPL and Positions of Responsibility, across positions of responsibility, and within individual patrols. Scouts in positions of responsibility need to actually perform in those positions; it is not sufficient to just HOLD as position, and time served will not count toward rank advancement if there is no evidence that responsibilities have been performed.

• QUARTERMASTER REPORT: All troop gear that is taken home for cleaning must be returned directly to the Quartermaster. Equipment can no longer be simply dropped off on a table at troop meetings; the individual returning the gear will wait and have the equipment checked by the Quartermaster. If the gear is incomplete or still dirty, then the individual needs to take it home and clean it again. Inventory of troop gear needs to be scheduled in the near future.

• WEBMASTER REPORT: Webmaster needs his login information to be able to upload and post information to the site; he will obtain his information before the next PLC.

• LIBRARIAN REPORT: The current library contains many books – some of which may be out of date. Librarian will review the books against the most recent merit badge requirements and re-compile the list of available books. The library should also include the SPL and PL handbooks, as well as other pertinent materials published by the BSA. All outdate materials will be delivered to the Historian for review.

• BUGLER REPORT: The bugle needs repairs. Andrew is going to request that it be checked by the WH band director.

Upcoming Activities

Something needs to be planned for January, February, March, April, and May. Activities mentioned were:

• Camp Alpine for indoor rock climbing daytrip
• Snowshoeing or cross country skiing in February
• Hiking on the AT or Yards Creek in April
• Gettysburg in May

PLC Minutes – March 27, 2013

Note: There is not an exact order to these notes sorry.

  • Patrol Leaders need Forums from scouts in each patrol (forums contain email information, as well as telephone information); then give it to Senior Patrol Leader; who gives it to webmaster.
  • Senior Patrol Leader needs to send email about service hours.
  • Possibly (April: rock climbing, Appalachian Trail, pyramid trail day hike; May: Valley Forge trip [reserved 17-19].
  • Lewis Morris [overnight] (April 26-28).
  • Collecting Lewis Morris (money and permission slips) on the 10th of April.
  • Senior Patrol Leader needs to contact Alex {for those of you who do not know him; he was a former scout who works at a rock-climbing complex} about possibly reserving a date for rock
  • climbing.
  • Patrol Leaders should suggest canoeing merit badge before Delaware River trip.
  • Patrick Sullivan court of honor (June 1st).
  • Jeremiah is going to sell flags at the firehouse (June 8th) [Patrol Leaders should suggest scouts to help with the flag sale].
  • Delaware River Trip (June 21st and 22nd).
  • On April 3rd suggest a younger scout for a leader for the Delaware River trip.
  • Also on April 3rd suggest a leader among the younger scouts for the Lewis Morris Trip.
  • Same date; choose a younger scout to buy food for Lewis Morris trip.
  • Scoutmaster should make an announcement that the troop needs the permission slips for Sabattis SOON.
  • April 17th is the early bird fee for Sabattis.

PLC Minutes – February 27, 2013

Patrol Leader Council Meeting Minutes
February 27, 2013, 7:30 PM – First Presbyterian Church
Attendees: Matteo, Steven, Matt, Nick, Kyle, Jeremiah, Jonathan, Sean, Mr. Schmidt, Mr. Soldan, Mr. Theoclitus, Mr. Wagner, Mr. Walto

Cabins – Webelos weekend

  • We need to fundraise so we can afford larger cabins which reduce the number of people sleeping outside.
  • We need to know who is coming further in advance, rather than a couple of nights before.


  • The BSA has officially declared that the Assistant Patrol Leader is not a rank position.
  • We need to work on training patrol leaders.
  • There is a weeklong training program held by the council.
  • Soon we will need a new ASPL and a SPL.

Traits to be a good patrol leader

  • Educating, respectful, trustworthy – follow the scout law
  • Lead by example, help all the time and be happy no matter what the weather is.

Service Projects

  • Thinking about landscaping around the Presbyterian Church.
  • Hours – Alter serving is an easy way to do it.
  • Send your hours and offer ideas on our Website – www.troop

Fundraising activities

  • We can sell first aid kits, 25% goes to the company and 75% goes to us.
  • It is a good idea; we need to finish up selling the flags first though.

Troop Activities

  • Jockey Hollow – we have to finish up the hiking, we will also camp for a day. On Friday night we will set up camp, Saturday we will hike. March 15th (Friday), 16th (Saturday).
  • Gettysburg – one week in April.
  • Appalachian Trail – one day hike (no camping), the date will be set for some time in April.
  • Valley Forge – May 17th
  • Sabbatis money due April 17th
  • Philmont – 2015
  • January 2014 signup for2015

Next Patrol Leaders meeting is 3/27

PLC Minutes – January 9, 2013

Patrol Leader Council Meeting Minutes
January 9, 2013, 7:30 PM – First Presbyterian Church
Attendees: Joe, Matteo, Tommy, Mikey, Sean, Kyle, Jeremiah, Trey, Matt, Ian, Mr. Gerecht, Mr. Walto, Mr. Schmidt, Mr. Soldan.

Service projects

  • Planning hours: four hours, five hours, ten hours.
    • Patrols need to pick service projects.
  • If you have suggestions, please contact Kyle.
    • He will be responsible for service projects.
  • Think of something that has to be done around the Presbyterian church.
    • Shrubs, repairs, playground, etc.

Service hours

  • Patrol members tell patrol leaders, Patrol leaders can Contact/ Email the adults the member’s progress.
  • If you have hours, contact Ian and he can submit them

Fundraising activities

  • We can sell flags- we have about 50 left.
  • If you have a suggestion, please contact Mr. Soldan
  • Wreaths for the holidays
  • Flowers for Mother’s day

Troop Activities

  • If you have a suggestion, please contact any of the adult leaders
  • Winnebago- we have a cabin reserved
  • Jockey Hollow- in March (finish the orienteering!)
  • Sabattis- July (start preparing now!)

Long-term Planning

  • Ski trip?
  • Sabattis-(July 21st – 27th )
  • Pay the early bird fee: it ends March.
  • Going down to West Virginia? (awesome camp: high adventure)
  • Canoeing trip- possible
  • Philmount: Ready to go! (EVERYTHING IS BACKPACKNG)

Next patrol leaders Meeting is 2/27